Thursday, February 28, 2002

Well Hello everyone out there. Over the past couple of days I have been thinking very hard about what my first blogg should be about. Then it hit me, or more appropriately it was attached to the front wheel of my car. Let me start at the beginning.

I work at the University of California Irvine. At my wonderful work place I have to purchase a parking permit in order to park my car everyday. I have had a valid parking permit at the University of California Irvine for the entire time I have worked there, about a year and a half.

One day in the mail I received my Department of Motor Vehicles Bill for my vehicle sticker. Normally the renewal should only be around $50.00, but my bill was for over $1,000. I was thinking what the hell is this. It listed over 20 tickets from the University of California Irvine for parking without a permit. Now, I don’t ever remember getting a single one of those tickets. There were never any tickets left on my car and I never received any notices in the mail. I repeat again, NEVER. Besides which, even if I did have any parking tickets left on my car, those tickets would be invalid as I had a valid parking permit.

The next thing that I did was to email the University of California Irvine and request a review of the parking tickets that were supposedly mine. This has since caused me to drive around with an expired vehicle sticker. There is no way that I am going to give the state of California a thousand dollars for tickets that I never should have received. I know that with the current economic crisis the state is trying hard to get every penny it can from its citizens. If I give them the money I doubt that I will ever get it back when I am proven right.

So that leads me to today. When I left work today to head home I took my usual stroll to my car. All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see this huge orange thing on my front drivers side tire. IT’S A BOOT! I had been booted!!!! One would think that if there was a review going on as to the tickets they would not boot your car. The notice on my car stated that I had to pay the tickets by 4:30 that evening or else my car would be towed. I was so upset that I headed right back to work to give the parking enforcement a call. I called them at about 3:00pm. I consider 3:00pm to be business hours wouldn’t you? Well I asked to speak to someone concerning the boot and the fact that my situation was under review. I was told that the person that I needed to talk to was gone for the day and no one would be able to help me today. I would need to call them back tomorrow. I then asked them about the fact that the notice said that my car would be towed unless this was cleared up by 4:30. They told me that they would not tow my car today and that they use it as a scare tactic to get people to pay the tickets.

What a load of bull, can you believe it? Two of the biggest problems with government and government financed agencies are bureaucrats and red tape. Now I am completely without a car and at the mercy of truly wonderful boyfriend who picked me up from work. The situation is wrong on many different levels. First of all they never should have given me the tickets. Second, they should not have booted my car while the tickets were in review. Lastly, someone should have been able to help me at the parking enforcement office. Don’t boot my car and then have no one there to help me.

The University of California Irvine is known for many bureaucratic slip ups and scandals. From unethical treatment of donated bodies at the medical school to fraud perpetuated by professionals who were impregnating wives who came for fertility treatment with their own sperm and not the sperm of their husbands. Just think this is the school that gave Michael A. Bellesiles, who has misread, misused, and perhaps even fabricated some of his evidence in Arming America, a PH.D.

I just hope tomorrow I can settle this whole insane situation and have my car back. I know that no matter what happens you will hear all about it here. So stay tuned.


No comments: